I agree with doug's comments.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Brewer" <d...@alphoto.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: Question for Mark, Doug, William and anyone else that has judgeda photo contest

On 9/19/11 10:08 AM, David J Brooks wrote:
http://www.caughtinmotion.com/2011-markhamfair/album/index.html

In my markham fair post, i mentioned that one of the jays shots, 6037,
the landing one, is a bit soft, Paul calls in motion blur.:-) This is
the one i like for the wild bird class, but am bothered by this bit of
softness, which does not really show up at web sizes so i just noticed
it when i printed it out.

Question to the judges on the list, would this be a deal breaker or
not. The concept of the photo is jays in flight, but would the
softness or motion blur be enough to say, "nope, try again next year
Brooksie". My other choices are #'s 6034 and 6057 in the above link.

Thoughts???

Dave

yeah, the issue is that when we look at a photo we look for the thing in focus and think that is the subject. In the shot in question, by this logic, the peanuts on the bench appear to be the subject. If the Jay was the only thing in the photo, I could maybe grant a little wiggle room on the focus, but then the problem might be someone else delivering a shot where the bird was in perfect focus, and I'd go with that one. Not knowing the relative quality of the typical Markham Fair submissions, though, I would be hard for me to make that call.

The short answer would then be, as always, "it depends."

If it were my shot, I'd probably wait for next year, but I'm way too critical of my own work.