Bruce,

Thanks for the info.  Maybe I, and my daughter, assumed it would download
because the options were shown.

Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote
Subject: Re: PESO - last wave of summer
On 11-10-04 6:06 AM, Keith Mosier wrote:

> My daughter pointed out that the Flickr account that I used still allowed a
> download of my photo, so I'll be taking it off that website soon.  I thought
> I had selected the protected options.  I tried but couldn't locate the option
> of sharing without allowing use.

Keith, you have uploaded that image with Flickr's most restrictive
policies. It is set to License: copyright, all rights reserved. There
are no menu options to allow download. If you right-click on the image
you get a copyright noticed and no download menu.

You would have to be very determined, and be technically proficient to
download it as it appears there on Flickr. But as J.C. pointed out, one
can simply do a screen-grab to copy it. And that's true of all photo
sites on the web. Even embedding your images in a Flash viewer won't
stop a screen-grab.  And as Larry implies, "sharing without allowing
use" is a bit of an oxymoron. The image file has to be be downloaded
into the browser for the browser to display it. That's how browsers
work. Anyone who knows about the "developer" menus in Safari or Chrome
can get at the cached copy or the direct link of any image.

So nobody out there will protect your image any better than Flickr
already has for you.  The only way to guarantee preventing unauthorized
use of your images is to avoid putting them on the net, anywhere.

Rather than uploading your images, it would be fairly safe to just
describe them to us in vague terms. "Here's a picture of a pretty girl
holding a colourful beachball. The background is mostly out of focus,
but it's blue with horizontal, wavy white lines so she's probably by the
water." I don't think anyone could make much use of that, even if they
cut'n'paste it somewhere.

-bmw

--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferand/