On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It occurs to me that this will be a lot more difficult with K20D because
>> you can't turn off the long exposure noise reduction. How are you going to
>> get contiguous star trails?
>>
>> Or has anyone come up with a hack that will allow the K20D's long exposure
>> noise reduction to be turned off?
>
> Don't you just wait for twice the exposure time for the final result?  I
> haven't tried star trails. My longest K20D exposure has been something like
> 5 minutes.

Star trails from DSLRs are usually assembled from multiple exposures
(otherwise you build up too much background from dark current and sky
brightness). So if the noise reduction makes you do 5 minutes on the
sky, then 5 minutes dark, then 5 sky, 5 dark, etc., you'll have
interruptions in your star trails, and the combined result will look
like dashed lines.