From: "John Celio"

Larry, that's pretty much what I was doing, though I think you got some that
are much better than mine.

Frank: I'm talking about the move-the-camera-during-long-exposures like
Larry showed in his reply, though I've always liked trying to get a nice,
centered spiral of lights.

Take a look at these two bodies:

MX: http://www.cameraleather.com/pentax/mx_grey_mbl.jpg
K-5:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/10x0920on235epk52.jpg

Now, I realize the MX's lens is not dead-center, but it's really close.
Honestly, this is a super minor nitpick of a problem, but it's one that's
gotten steadily more noticeable as SLRs and P&S cameras have become more and
more compact.

But, whatever. It doesn't matter. I was just feeling bitchy last night
because my friends ditched me and I was home alone for New Year's. Here,
have some photos of my cats I shot last night:

Serendipity: http://flic.kr/p/b5tZaX

Dr. Artemis Fuzzypants, Ph.D.: http://flic.kr/p/b5tY4H (yes, that's her full
name. Doc for short)

John

One of the less expensive panorama adapters or even one of the DIY ones might work for what you want to do. They're supposed to rotate around the "nodal point" of the lens which ought to satisfy the "dead-center" requirement.

This is just the first one that Google turned up:

http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_the_panorama_head_el_cheapo

I know it rotates around the vertical, but I bet you could modify it to accept the camera mounted horizontally.