Thanks, David and Christine.

That is the real color I saw in the sky.  It is enhanced by "vog,"
volcanic dust and gases that floats in from the Big Island of Hawai'i,
where Kilauea  is constantly active.   Normally, the trade winds (from
the Northeast) keep the vog away from Maui, but a storm north of the
islands produced three days of Kona (leeward) winds from the south,
bringing the pollutants to Maui.  It is not very noticeable during the
day -- a little haze, perhaps -- but really affects the color and
intensity of sunsets here on Maui's west coast.  The wind pattern is
back to normal, and sunsets the last two evenings were fairly boring
(but still pleasant).
Dan Matyola