Sorry Igor, I have seen that thread and several other discussions in the last
day or two. And I still don't get what the issue is.  Loosely paraphrasing, in
what is not at all a novel approach (pun intended), Apple says "you use our
free goodies to make a buck, we want a share of the profits. And we'll manage
that process painlessly by putting the book through our store. Oh by the way,
as with apps for our phones etc. we do have standards; if your work is
objectionable, we don't want your business." Sounds fair to me. And I think the
Blurb analogy is a perfect one. Both offer free software which has the purpose
of allowing the user to make a product which will be produced/distributed
through the supplier of the software, yielding the software provider some
profit. Seems a good and fair business model.

BTW, I have been party to several contracts with actual publishers of actual
books. Technical, textbook-type books. Low quantity distribution expected, and
the publisher can only hope for break-even. So they structure the contract to
read (again, paraphrased) "we are taking the risk, we are covering the up-front
production/advertising/distribution costs. So we'll take [all/most of] the
gross income from the first [1000/2000] copies. Then we'll start to give you
authors a small percentage of the net on succeeding copies sold." I find the
eBook business model to be much more palatable in that the share of profits
apparently does not vary as a function of sales volume; the author gets a share
of the income from the beginning.

IIRC, it used to be that GM, Ford, etc. expected you to do periodic maintenance
on your vehicle in order to maintain the validity of their warranty. Any more
they build them so well that maintenance is pretty much a moot point, but they
used to require you to have the work done in their facility. Again IIRC that
was stopped as an illegal restriction of trade. Someday, if Apple publishing
gets to be a significant factor in the eBook market, then maybe they might lose
a suit claiming unfair restriction. Right now to me I see nothing wrong with
what they are doing or how they are going about it.

stan