Sorry, I was not very careful (as somebody else has pointed out)
in using the language. I used "distribute" instead of "sell".

Mea culpa!
I realized it after I sent the message, and decided not to send
the followup: I am in the middle of 2 deadlines and the
emergency computer maintenance work.

That may have contributed to a confusion.
I believe Larry is talking about selling, while the part of the EULA
you, Godfrey, quote is applied to free distribution.

Igor

Mon Jan 23 14:04:26 EST 2012
Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com>
wrote:

> On 1/23/2012 9:26 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>
>> It's a business decision akin to signing a book contract with a
>> publisher on an exclusive basis, with the added bonus in that if you
>> don't want to sell your work, you can distribute it freely without
>> Apple's involvement at all, and you can transform it into a more
>> industry generic form and still sell it any other way you wish.
>

> I read it that even if you transform it into an industry generic form,
> if
> you used iBook author, you still have to sell it through the
> iBookstore.

Your notion seems to be in direct contradiction to this portion of the
EULA:

"B. Distribution of your Work. As a condition of this License and
provided you are in compliance with its terms, your Work may be
distributed as follows:
(i) if your Work is provided for free (at no charge), you may
distribute the Work by any available means; ..."