We were told at one of the eagle days presentations (back in the late 80's) that the colder the winter along the rivers, the farther south the eagles would go, seeking open water, so they could get at the fish. They especially like to congregate around lock & dams due to the stun effect on the fish after they came over the dam. I remember seeing eagles hopping along the ice on the down side of the dams picking up the stunned fish.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Sullivan" <rf.sulli...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Eagles on the Mississippi

Thanks Dave.
And Ken the bald eagles are now rather abundant along the upper Mississippi.
My picture was just outside Davenport, Iowa near Lock & Dam #14.
There are more eagles at the Lock & Dam alongside the Rock Island Arsenal.
We watched a podcast of eaglets from Decora Iowa last spring, a bit
farther north.
And I've seen many along the rivers in southern Minnesota.
They are a treat.
Regards,  Bob S.