Mark,

I can't do a K-5 photo at full resolution 100% JPEG quality and fit the maximum
file size for submitting to the annual.
That means I need to either make it smaller in pixels, or compress it more in
JPEG quality.

I could do full resolution at about 80% quality or about 3200x2800 at 100%
quality.  Which works better for you?
Or is there some ideal resolution where it won't need to be resized based on
dpi and nominal picture size?

It looks like the vertical pictures are 2000 pixels tall and the horizontal are
2500 wide (based on 300dpi). So that implies that if we set those limits in
lightroom as the max size, then you won't need to downsize.  Would there be any
advantage to pushing them any larger?