Larry, You seem to shoot a lot in dark situations. Any auto mode is
going to try to get the scene average up to near 18% gray, modulo
trying to prevent highlight clipping.

Bruce, An auto setting mode based on a selected sample area (of
adjustable size) would be cool. There's a Lightroom forum on the Adobe
site somewhere ... I have the address at home, not here. That would be
a good feature request.

In practice, I almost never use the auto mode at all. Most of the
time, I can rough in adjustment for most of an entire session with
two/three clicks in the Quick Develop panel before I even open a
single image in the Develop module. I only click auto now and then,
normally, to see what LR thinks of my exposures. Most of the time it
doesn't change the photo enough to even notice what it did without
looking at the sliders.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com