G'day all

A project I've had in mind since taking over as PUG-meister, was to try to find and restore the first few PUG galleries from 1997/98.

As 2012 is the PUG's 15th anniversary, I decided that now would be a good time. In any case, it hasn't stopped raining here for weeks so I've spent a lot more time at the computer than is usual...

In the 'Previous Galleries' page on Komkon, we already had all galleries back to March 1998. As it turned out, galleries from April 1997 (the very first PUG) to August 1997 were, in fact, already stored away on the Komkon server. They were just hidden away in the archives folder and not readily accessible. Restoring those was a fairy simple exercise.

This left galleries from September 1997 to February 1998 still 'missing'. These were galleries stored on the now departed GeoCities system.

Enter - The Wayback Machine.

Fortunately, I had a web address for one of the GeoCities galleries and, by fiddling with the URLs I was able to locate galleries for Dec 97, Jan 98 and Feb 98.

All of these galleries have now been restored to the 'Previous Galleries' page. So, what about Sep/Oct/Nov 97? I don't know, but as they aren't in the archives and don't seem to be on the Wayback Machine, I'm guessing that there weren't any PUGs for those months.

If you want to take a look back at PDML history, check out these early PUGs at:

http://pug.komkon.org/general/pastgalleries.html

Remember - these were dial-up days when bandwidth for posting images was limited, so the images are very small by the standards of today's PUG. And, of course, all were taken on film cameras and had to be scanned.

It's interesting to see who of today's regular PDMLers were active back then. Doug Brewer is the only name I recognise in the April 97 gallery but JCO and Derby show up in May 97 with Luiz and Dario also appearing in '97.

--
Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters