On May 29, 2012, at 5:08 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> I wish it were so simple, Tim.
>
> Yes, I'm using an older machine: a 2008 iMac, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. But
> it has 6 Gig RAM, and I was running Lr with no other apps up (not even

That sounds very much like my machine.

> a browser), and I was watching the Activity monitor. There was plenty
> of RAM, the disks weren't all that busy, my catalog is on the local
> drive while the image files are on an external 2TB 800 MHz Firewire
> drive.

Very similar to my setup.  2.4 GHz core 2 duo iMac, of about the same vintage,
6GB ram, external drive, catalog on the internal drive.

> The other maddening thing is that one time I fired up Lr 4 it was
> quite perky. Sliders were smooth acting and responsive. But 3 of 4
> times launching it, it's crazy sluggish.

I've definitely noticed the machine is getting slower, but not unusably so.  I
do split my work into a smaller working catalog, and the big everything
catalog.

I'd very much like to fork my working catalog, and make a newer, smaller
version.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that without losing all
the Publish Services that I've set up.

 One annoyance is that the JF facebook plug-in doesn't work.  The FB plugin
that comes with LR4 works pretty well though, except for the bit where it'll
take a minute or so to actually do something once I click on "create a
collection".