Not a given at all, John.

From all I've read folks generally expect JPEG shots to be basically
cooked and ready to serve. A smaller percentage of JPEG shooters will
crop and maybe do some basic exposure tweaks, but the majority of JPEG
adherents expect the camera to have done everything, like sharpening
and saturation.

If you shoot assuming that the shot will need further processing you
are doing yourself a disservice by shooting JPEG and you should be
using RAW. Otherwise you are not only trying to undo what the camera
has already done to the image, but you will have thrown away precious
dynamic range too.

--
-bmw