I get email alerts for solar flares (interested as I am in a heads-up
for aurora opportunities this far south) and there are usually three
emails in fairly fast succession (for ordinary M flares). You get one
email at the start of an event, a second one after the thing has
peaked and started back down, and finally a third when it crosses a
certain "ending" threshold. Usually the gap between the first to the
third is only 15-30 minutes. About noon yesterday I realized that I
had gotten email #1 but at around 11:20 AM but hadn't seen the 2nd one
yet and it was 12:09 PM. Shot my son-in-law an email that this might
be an X-Flare and then went to check it out. Yep. It had just peaked
and was starting back down and was at X1.2 as I viewed the data.

It was an X-Flare (X1.4 at maximum) and most definitely
earth-directed. It almost immediately affected radio wave propogation
here on the home planet. The bad news is that 1.4 isn't far into
X-Flare territory. The last time I could find an earth-directed
X-Flare was March 11, 2011 (an X1.5) and it seemed to result in photo
submissions of aurora only as far south as
Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin, so my chances of seeing it from Nebraska
(assuming no clouds obscure the north) may be slim.

I plan to be out though, just in case. The good news is that there is
no moon until 2:30 AM and then only a waning crescent.
Check your moonrise time here:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonrise.html

Also, if you are up (or still up) before dawn on Sat. morning, you'll
have a nice planet grouping near the moon in the Pleaides before dawn:
http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-near-pleaides-approaching-jupiter-venus

The other good news is that the sunspot group that shot this thing at
us is still aimed at earth and there is a darn good chance (35%) that
it will spit out another one within the next 48 hours. If it does, the
1-2 punch could *really* light up the magnetosphere over the weekend.

Technically, the flare results in various stuff being thrown at us,
but is not *itself* headed at us. If that were possible we'd be
incinerated. We got strobed by extreme UV and X-Rays almost
immediately. What we are waiting for to hit tonight is the CME
(Coronal Mass Ejection) which will compress and charge the
magnetosphere when it hits, resulting in aurora.

Space.com allegedly has videos (but I can't get them to come up on any
of my devices so far):
http://www.space.com/16562-solar-storm-watch-massive-x-flare-explodes-from-sun-video.html
http://www.space.com/16574-massive-earth-directed-x-flare-from-sun-multiple-video-views.html