On 7/18/2012 3:23 AM, AlunFoto - Jostein Øksne wrote:
But I digress... My point is that experiments are required to find optics that
fit well together for stacking. One can be very positively surprised with
results from what one already has lying around!

That's a very striking shot and testimony to how well your technique worked - though composition and timing of the shot are what really make it.

I did my first snow crystals with stacked lenses (on a spotmatic, no less, since I mistakenly thought that an electronic camera would not do well in sustained cold.) I did quite few experiments with stacked lenses, usually with extension, in the late 90's for magnifications of 4x to 10x. A good 50mm reverse mounted on the A* 200mm macro worked well for 4x.

For 2x in the field these days my preferred solution is a macro lens and 2x teleconverter - keeps infinity focus and can be quite sharp. I am not shooting macro in MF, though I *did* buy a set of Pentax 67 extension rings a few months ago - haven't tried them out yet.

Mark