Based on my admittedly limited experience, I think the capabilities of the gear do enhance creativity, but that it pretty quickly bumps up against the law of diminishing returns. By way of example, my initial interest in photography was fired by a Canon P&S while taking snapshots at a drag race. I learned pretty quickly that the slow shutter response made it almost impossible to get a decent image as the cars launched off the starting line. After a certain number of attempts, I quickly became discouraged from trying to take such images. But, I really, really wanted to be able to take shots like that, so I started socking away pennies for a DSLR so that I could have a camera with the necessary responsiveness.

But, when I got the camera that was capable of doing it, I tended to expend a great deal of effort taking those kinds of shots, and not much else. Then, boredom set in and I wanted to take more artistic photos. But, I started to rely heavily on gewgaws and whirligigs like digital filters and long focal lengths, which produced a lot of frustratingly pedestrian results.

It wasn't until I put my hands on an M50/2 that I ever noticed any appreciable improvement in my photography. I learned to appreciate the limits it placed on me, and adjusted accordingly. So, in essence, the capabilities of the DSLR allowed me to get the kinds of photos I couldn't have gotten with the P&S, but it wasn't until I introduced a the limitations of the lack of autofocus and zoom and automatic metering, etc. that ever learned how to truly exploit the capabilities of the camera.

-- Walt