> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> steve harley
>
> on 2012-09-08 8:07 Bruce Walker wrote
> >   There's still no
> > credible business model for this thing.
>
> does there need to be a business model? can good writing, or
> photography, happen without a business model?
>
> going a little deeper, is it possible that all it means when good this
> or good that "comes to the fore" is that it has been commercialized
> successfully, with perhaps enough panache that people feel
> sophisticated consuming the product?
> not in every case does a lot of money change hands, but art that
> achieves recognition still seems to be of the commercial world; this is
> why punk bands and street artists have long struggled with success as a
> form of failure
>
> so, if art happens and only your house guests, or your Facebook
> friends, see it, is it art?
>
> i think that may explain the obsession with "discoveries" of obscure
> artists:
> it is the last gasp of artistic exceptionalism

well, good writing is good writing. Whether it's 'art' or not is a different
question. There is a lot of good writing every day in newspapers, magazines,
even technical manuals, that is not meant as art, whatever the definition.
The same goes for photography.

'Comes to the fore' in the way I meant it is not about commercial success
but about recognition. Some of the works that are now recognised as among
the best in their field were never commercial successes. What they
benefitted from was publication by people and organisations who did not
expect to turn a profit on everything, but who used the commercially
successful to subsidise the good, when they did not coincidence, and
exposure to people who were in a position to promote the stuff on the
grounds of its quality.

With the democratisation of publishing, the difficulty that writers and
photographers will have is to find a way of getting the right exposure to
the right people. People are not going to look at a great many places in
search of good work, so the outlets will coalesce around a few sites for
each audience - there will be a huge proliferation of overlapping audiences
- and somebody will curate each site.