The M42 to K-Mount adapter was designed as part of the transition from
M42 to K-mount in the 1970s to allow owners buy a new Pentax body and
make use of their existing complement of M42 lenses. It is designed to
mount into the K-mount body and lock there in order to facilitate
changing M42 lenses.
        - You fit it onto the lens and bayonet the assembly into place to fit
the adapter.
        - When you remove the lens from the camera, the mount adapter stays
in place to allow you to use other M42 lenses.
        - You release the adapter by slipping a thin screwdriver blade or
feeler gauge into a slot on the adapter to release the catch and then
pull it out of the K-beyonet coupling.

It works perfectly for its intended purpose.

I would never go with cheap alternatives on any lens mounting
component. Good quality alternatives are always useful. :-)

Some of the third party alternatives are good quality: they were
designed to be fitted to the lens and to change with the lens. A key
difference between the good ones and the poor ones, aside from
material and finish quality, is that most of the good ones include
include a ridge to press in the auto-diaphragm pin on M42 lenses and
stop down the aperture. This is not important for Pentax M42 lenses
... all of them have an auto-manual diaphragm operation switch on the
lens ... but becomes important for various third party lenses which
lacked the A-M switch. If you don't have an A-M switch on the lens and
you don't have the adapter with the ridge in it, the lens will always
be at wide open aperture.

I had a couple of the originals and had one fitted to each lens I was
going to use, with a thread-locking fluid (temporary, not permanent)
on the threads to keep it there. I'd removed the locking catch for the
body so that each lens simply mounted and unmounted like a K-bayonet
lens.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com