From: Ann Sanfedele

Well it is a puzzlement...

I'm able to adjust the monitor to 50% and work for hours with nothing
amiss, when something hoovers, I decrease the brightness. sometimes it
starts flickering wildly even at 20% brightness.

I can increase brightness for a short period of time to get closer to
what I think others see before it flickers.

IT went for a couple of days at about 40% with absolutely no problem,
then , suddenly it went nuts again...

Is it possible fluxuation in local electrical ooomph (thinking due to
what others are using in my ancient building, or electrical work being
done recently outside.) is responsible?

Anyway, I'm hoping I dont have to replace this for a while...

ann

I'm afraid your monitor is just getting near the time when it's going to fail. Is it a CRT or flat panel?

I did have a flat panel (on a laptop) that did something like you are describing and it ended up being a device similar to the starter on a fluorescent lamp that had failed. That one was a fairly cheap repair.

But other issues I've had with flat panel displays were just not economically repairable. They could be fixed, but the estimated cost was greater than buying a replacement.

I don't know where I would take a CRT to be repaired. All of the places I used in the past have gone out of business.