On Sep 19, 2012, at 24:02 , Christine Aguila <christ...@caguila.com> wrote:

> I use filters!  When I did the construction shoot a while back, I was glad I
> was a filter-girl.  One of those little trucks would come zooming by and soon
> enough I and my cameras were covered head to toe in dirt-dust, and, of
> course, tiny rock particles would fly about as well.  One dinged my B + W
> polarizing filter real nice, but thankfully the pesky little rock particle
> didn't get the front element.

I can understand 'em for sand/rocks and crap flying at the lens.

I stopped using them years ago when I was shooting the inside of a dark
abandoned cathedral in Ireland.  I pointed up to the dark arches above me and
everything in my viewfinder looked grey.  Hmm.

Looked up with my eyeballs and it was dark.

Back to the viewfinder: grey.

Took filter off, looked through - dark.

The lighting coming in from the (empty/open) windows on each side was hazing
out the filter and SERIOUSLY reducing contrast.

Maybe a super-high-buck expensive filter wouldn't have done that, but… hard
hoods, keeping the camera in the bag, and capping the lenses when they're not
actually mounted to the camera seems to have been doing the trick for the past
10 years for me.

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com