On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2012, at 2:50 PM, J.C. O'Connell wrote:
>> Nice shot but its kinda noisy. What ISO were you using?
>
> My guess is that it has more to do with the planes being backlit and needing
> to boost the shadows to get the dynamic range.

That, and it was really hazy out (the remnants of our famous bay fog),
so the original image was very blue and very flat. Whenever I process
a photo, I start with Auto Levels and adjust from there. In this case,
Auto Levels boosted the brightness and contrast to the point that it
looks like I was shooting at a high ISO, when in fact I think it was
set to 400.

Thanks to all who've commented! If you ever get the chance to see one
of the Space Shuttles in person, do it! They're pretty amazing. I'm
already planning a trip to LA for next summer to see Endeavour
close-up when it goes on display.

John