I don't subscribe to the "use it or lose it theory".

However, I also have three SDM lenses and I've had two motor failures,
both in the 50-135. The first was under warranty still, the 2nd is two
years later and I'll have to pay to fix it.

I regard it as pretty terrible. The same type of failure *twice* in
four years? Sheesh. If I get it fixed will it blow again in two more
years?

--
-bmw