On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 12:50:24PM -0500, Walt wrote:
> On 10/1/2012 12:30 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
> >"P. J. Alling" <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>For just about forever, I've disagreed with Consumer Reports on
> >>photographic equipment.
> >Once Herbert Keppler wrote an editorial in Modern Photography asking
> >its readers to warn their friends not to pay attention to Consumer
> >Reports articles on camera equipment. This was occasioned by CR giving
> >the Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 lens a rating of "poor" (and not specifying
> >what, if any, tests were done to reach this conclusion).
> >
> I suspect it fared poorly in zooming capabilities.

Yeah - that as well.

And, to be fair, I'm sure that for the vast majority of the people who
mostly base their purchases on the Consumer Reports ratings a Zeiss
50mm/f1.4 would be a poor choice of lens.  Come to that, for most of
the time I suspect I'm better off with my DA* 16-50/f2.8 mounted on
my camera than I would be with a Zeiss 50mm/f1.4 (even if there were
a comparable one in Pentax KAF mount). And for the few times where the
extra couple of stops would be useful I've got the A50/1.4 and F50/1.7
lying around.

And that's sticking with a DSLR.  I think the EPL-1 with both the 14-42
and 40-150 probably cost less than the Zeiss lens alone.