On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Joseph McAllister <pentax...@mac.com> wrote:

> Apparently, I've been told, if you are in your car or on horseback and not
> within 10 miles of a major city, you'd better have Verizon. Everything else
> is like a dry Texas county. No bars.

When we camped here, at an undeveloped site about 4 miles from the
paved road, I was surprised to find that not only did we have a
Verizon signal, but it was 4G LTE service.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coneslayer/7749509038/in/set-72157630993116312

(To be fair, there was no Verizon service in Badlands NP or Custer
State Park; both have more terrain to deal with, and probably
prohibitions against erecting towers.)