Having just seen your picture of the actual stand, I think you need to
put a little more twist resistance into the lower half, because
nothing is bracing the legs below the 'X'.  No stringers there, so
maybe just a diagonal brace from end to end attached directly to the
legs.  Your horizontal plate across the ends underneath the barrel
should be enough to stop the 'X' spreading, but your joining might
need beefing up, consider gang-nails across the joint.  If the
buckling persists then determine which corners are spreading apart and
tie those corners with rod or wire, after straightening them of
course.

regards, Anthony