From: "knarftheria...@gmail.com" <knarftheria...@gmail.com>
To: PDML@pdml.net
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:20 PM
Subject: Lost, K10D

Ok, not really lost, rather, stupidly left on a bench.

It happened a week and a half ago. I was working at the time, had taken my
camera strap off my neck and put the camera next to me while I sat in a
shopping mall checking something in my wallet. Then my Android beeped, telling
me I got a call to pick up.

As I got off the subway about fifteen minutes later that sinking feeling hit
me; no camera around my neck.

I immediately got a second call to do, so unfortunately it was almost two hours
after I left my camera before I got back to the mall. Checked with security and
all the stores near the bench (who would have brought the camera to security -
mall policy); nothing turned in.

Checked the local lost and found ads, placed lost and found ads myself,
continued to monitor ads and security.

Nothing.

Gone.

Ok, I know the person who found it and walked away with it did nothing illegal,
but you'll never convince me that keeping that camera was morally right. The
~right~ thing to do would have been to turn it in to security.

They might as well have stolen it from me.

I guess what bothers me most is that they won't get much for it if they pawn it
or sell it. It's worth far more to me than it's market value.

Even worse, what likely happened is that the finder sold it at a bar for $20
for a few beers.

Oh well.

About 30 lost images, maybe a few good ones but no prize winners. The 18-55mm
was on it and while I'll miss it, at least it's not a valuable lens.

And I still have my venerable *IstD.

It was a terrific camera and took wonderful images. I'll miss it.

cheers,
frank

"If the world were clear, art would not exist." -- Albert Camus