Larry,

A few thoughts:
1. Either, as Boris wrote, you've got bad/bent contacts (very often with CF
readers), or the reader is not designed to read this higher capacity
cards.
2. Typically, when you connect a digital camera via USB, at least
two types of drivers have to be activated: first - for the connection,
and second, - for the "mass storage device".
It looks like the second one is not there.
I don't know about Canon DSLRs, but smaller, P&S digital cameras
from Canon don't work with the generic devices for that (at least
under Windows) but require a special driver to be installed before the system
can recognize them as a storage device. In the absence of the driver,
only software programs that know how to work with cameras would be
able to read the content of the camera's storage.
Apparently, LR (which I think is capable of doing tethering with Canon
DSLRs), knows how to talk to the camera directly.

HTH,

Igor