A view from the other side of the channel:

When I was five-six, (1950) my family finished up a three-year stint in
Northern Greece and headed back to the States. A three-week tour through
Europe, then a boat back home. One of my vivid memories from that trip was
seeing block after block of damaged buildings in Germany and asking my father
what had happened to them. "They were bombed during the war and haven't been
able to rebuild yet." Many years later, my major advisor from graduate school
published a personal memoir of sorts ["into the Fire by Siegfried Streufert].
His father was one of the anti-Nazi senators who went back home to Northern
Germany in the mid 1930's (?) and was then part of the resistance. Siegfried
tells of what it was like as a child living under the threat of bombers, and
then later the frustration that the Allied troops didn't understand that many
Germans saw them as liberators, not as conquerors. Bob, the graphic you shared
really brings back those stories and is a reminder that this wasn't a sometimes
thing, but that everyone was at risk in every neighborhood for months and
months and months. A horrible way to live and a testament to universal
stupidity.

stan