Well, the MZ-S which was Pentax's last K-Mount film flagship is quite a bit larger than the other MZ/ZX series cameras. It was intended to be the shared frame for the first Pentax DSLR which was going to be a FF 6MP camera. So it should be plenty big enough for a current DSLR. The reason for full frame is really in many ways the same as for film. A bigger sensor allows for less stringent lens design, and cleaner output from lower magnification. To give a film analogy An 8x10 printed from Tri-X (ISO 400) shot in a 6x9 camera looks like PAn-X (ISO 32) from a 35mm and it's a lot easier to get that quality all things being equal. I haven't done the math, and I'm sure someone will immediately point out if I'm wrong, but I think that the photoreceptor sites on a 24x36mm 24mp would be at least 20% larger than those on a 16mp 16x24mm sensor. This implies lower noise at all ISO settings, and given that the Pentax K-5[xxx] has been DxOMark's top APS-C DSLR for at pretty much the last three years, I expect that Pentax would be more than able to better than with a reasonable resolution FF sensor.

I'm not going to be silly and ask who needs 36mp or bigger sensor, but I will point out that for what most professional photographers do even 24mp is overkill.