I think that Tumblr is the nearest equivalent. I believe you can even
post to Tumblr via email, which was one of Posterous' selling points.
I liked Posterous' relatively clean native look and you can achieve
that by using one of Tumblr's free themes, like Minimalist. Tumblr's
pretty flexible. I have two Tumblr blogs, one of which is morphing
into my portfolio, and is not really a blog at all. I've been lightly
tweaking the Minimalist theme to get what I need.

Alternatively, basic blogs at wordpress.com are free, and many folks
recommend them. There's supposed to be a migration tool for Posterous
to Wordpress that would be worth checking into.

Posterous went sideways after Twitter bought it and I stopped
attempting to use it. I'm unsurprised at this shutdown announcement.

--
-bmw