Zos, I agree with your reasons for not changing gear, yet I also
sympathize with Tuck's reasons for doing the opposite. I think he
recognizes the trade-offs in his suggestion.

Even after 5 years of fairly frequent shooting (some 40K frames) I
have still not developed complete muscle memory for my tools. I've
been shooting with a K20D for the bulk of that time, and I would not
look kindly on changing that body to something significantly different
as I'd have to go through the fumbling around phase once again. So I'm
not looking to switch up equipment just to give myself a kick. I don't
need to ... yet.

But I can see reaching a point one day where I'm so familiar with my
toolset that it could become a tedium. Tuck, as a commercial food,
headshot and product photographer shoots orders of magnitude more that
me and has been doing it for a few decades. He could shoot corporate
headshots in his sleep, and that may in fact be just about what
happens when you reach that point in your life. Job comes in: no
problem, cookie-cutter task. Take trusty camera with fave lens, setup
bog standard lighting arrangement; click. Result? Perfectly fine but
boring shot. Cash cheque. Thanks.

Some would see that as just fine: guaranteed income. Go home and watch
TV in the evenings.

But many, like me and apparently Tuck, see it as uncreative
repetition. Soulless and unfulfilling. So what to do? Well for
starters: wake up!! Maybe some can mentally kick themselves and get
out of a rut, but lots of us need an external stimulus. Wholesale or
partial renewal of gear would definitely do that for me.

So Kirk Tuck's suggestion isn't for everyone. It works for him though.

--
-bmw