I have been reading this thread & others, directly & indirectly related,
with great interest. Clearly we are all different. What a dull world it
would be if we weren't. On the one hand we have the die-hards who hate to
move out of their comfort zone. Perhaps some still use candles, a Brownie
box & ride a horse to work?  At the other end of the spectrum are those who
must always have the latest/newest of everything whether they can afford it
or not. A lot of these are showing off their indebtedness rather than their
wealth. I see them all the time in Kruger with their expensive SUV's and
cameras. Fortunately, common sense prevails & most of us find ourselves
somewhere in between. It would seem that there is still a great deal of
interest in shooting film followed by digitisation of the negatives - even
digitisation & restoration of those old slides. 25000 slides & I thought my
2000 was a lot! I still enjoy using my ME super - FF too! (Certainly a much
cheaper option than any FF digital Pentax may produce in the future.)
Unfortunately, the local photoshop can only give me 2Mb scans so, obviously,
an Epson 500V or a Nikon Coolpix would be the way to go. Without scanners we
would never have seen Paul's dragster & coffee-shop shots. Perhaps we are
about to see a lot of archived stuff before it passes out of living memory?
However, will film still be available in 10 years time & at what price? Then
we have the relatively inexpensive microsystem cameras (like the K-01) with
big sensors & live view only which are ideaI for macro work (probably all
work if you don't mind looking like a tourist). If Mark keeps at it long
enough, he'll eventually find two snow crystals the same! I'll eventually
upgrade my K110D with a S/H K5-II in about five years time when you've all
upgraded to the K5-VII or whatever they're calling it then. (Maybe a K20 on
the way?) Technology has come a long way in the last 100 years & leapt in
the last 20. We can't escape it but there's no reason we can't keep the past
alive in a virtual living museum.

And then, Mistresses? Well, that's another story!

This is what a cropped 2Mb scan of an impressive Impala ram looks like (ME
super  135mm)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisselstroom/8509240267/in/photostream

Alan