On 11 March 2013 18:52, Toine <to...@repiuk.nl> wrote:
> What if the monitor is factory calibrated and has a devices specific profile?
> Calibration could/should be more accurate if you spend enough money on
> a accurate device.

The problem is that the device profiles are generic to the model not
specifically for your particular monitor so variations due to
manufacture can't be compensated for. When you generate your own
calibration profile for a screen the cal software is measuring actual
colours from your screen, building a compensatory LUT (look up table)
which will be loaded into the video driver to apply compensatory tone
transfer curves. The generated profile describes the combination of
your actual monitor + the effect of the LUT to the operating system.
Application software can then draw upon the calibration data.

> The real problem/suspect is Windows (and maybe OSX). Windows for sure
> can't handle wide gamut profiles with or without a PhD in color
> management.

IMO colour management under Windows XP was a dream because MS hadn't
screwed with the system, it was latent and third party software could
readily address it, In Windows 7 I have problems with the O/S's colour
management system, they even use proprietary profiles WCS :(

Cheers,

Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours
Gmail, eBay, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Picasa: distudio