On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 02:07:24PM -0600, steve harley wrote:
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzfzb014ja641qw/50pixel_heron.png>
>
> okay sorry for the tease, the lens was 15mm, and the distance around
> 30 yards, so the bird is about 50 pixels long, shown at 300%; the
> only way i found the bird in the image was by scanning the image at
> extreme zoom and noticing the classic heron "gaff-rigged" wing shape
>
> 15mm has been good practice, but i'm putting the 50mm back on the
> camera for a while

HEh! reminds me of the time I was riding back to work after lunch
on the Coyote Creek Trail (not 100m from where John, Aahz and I were
shooting) and saw a bobcat walking up the trail.  I had my camera with me,
around my neck, and was able to turn it on, and using autofocus get
a couple of photos of the bobcat before it left the trail.

Of course, the lens I had on the camera was a zoom, at full wide, so
even though I had my camera, and in theory a suitable lens mounted,
I wasn't able to extend it to telephoto mode, so my photo was just about
clear enough to prove that I had seen either a bobcat, or a really, really
big housecat.

The only other time I've gotten a good view of a bobcat was heading to
the lumber yard one morning, there was one sitting in a field between
the driveway to the lumber yard and the creek.  That, of course, was the
only time that I went to the lumber yard without grabbing my camera and
putting it in the car.  The shots I got with my phone, again, were just
good enough to more or less prove that I had actually seen a bobcat.