It's a enclosure from Gigaware, I checked the online reviews and it doesn't seem to be problematic, had a front panel activity light, (broke, it and it was my fault), and wonder of wonders a rocker switch for to turn it on and off.

It's an IDE drive and my desktop has IDE connectors but I'm loath to tear it apart to see if DataLifeGaurd will recognize the drive if it's directly connected to the motherboard without a USB interface in between, that is unless I were sure that it would work. I've got this system working mostly the way I want it to and don't want to screw that up.

<rant>The fact that Seatools which is a propitiatory version of Acronis' software recognizes the Western Digital drive and returns both it's model number and it's serial number, points to it being a limitation in the WD software, but still DLG should recognize that the drive is a WD drive and at least test it, it tested and passed all the other USB drives and none of them are Western Digital products.<rant>

Well right now I've got checkdisk running in the background on the drive, it seems to have gotten past the 2/3 mark running overnight. I hope it will generate a meaningful report. So far it seems that the only things that were actually lost were a few large archives of free software that I didn't bother to back up, since I figured I could always download them again. I never used any of it IIRC, so I'm not that worried. It did seem to have a large number of bad sectors in the middle of where my pef's were stored but I have multiple copies of them so that's not a problem.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded, everyone's advice was welcome.