Just a short follow-up. It appears that what I am asking about is
called "orphan works" and UK law recently changed regarding them:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/05/orphan-works

We are 33 years out from the original publishing date (no other
editions were printed and it was never even published in paperback). I
know who the original publishing house was, but there would be no
reason to give them a "heads-up" on what I'd like to do... they can't
possibly have publishing rights that extend this far out (can they?)

Interesting.