On 7/25/2013 6:14 PM, Darren Addy wrote:
I have an interesting situation that I just bumped across. I've found
a long out-of-print title (published in 1980) by a now deceased author
(died 2009) who, in a 1997 USENET post, gave permission to reproduce
("photo/ copy") his book if anyone found a copy. He also stated that
he owned the copyright (therefore could give such permission). I have
reason to believe that the title might be reasonably popular today, if
again available.

I guess my question is: Would his copyright have passed to his heirs?
(Or what happens to one's copyright at death in the UK system)? Does
his giving permission to reproduce mean that I could now republish it
in the U.S. without treading on anyone's rights? Or if someone
maintains rights, how might I go about finding out who and procuring
them?

Thanks for any insights.

How many copies are you planning to "publish"?