on 2013-07-31 12:47 mike wilson wrote
I seem to remember that there should be some option for
setting messages that are sent to mail lists to show.  But it doesn't
appear to be there.  Anyone any idea where I should be looking?

Google thinks it's helping you:

<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588?topic=1564>

this is a bug, not a feature, but arguing with Google is pointless, so just hack around it; if you create a filter to label mail from the list:

Matches: list: (<pdml_pdml.net.pdml.net>)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "pdml"

all list messages, including yours, should appear in that label (aka mailbox); if for some reason that doesn't work, add a criterion to the filter to also label your messages sent to the list:

matches: to: (<pdml@pdml.net>)

If not, does anyone have any idea about manually importing old data
into Thunderbird?  I went from XP to Ubuntu - the auto import does not
want to work and if I try to import the address book file and inbox
folder manually, it stops T'bird working.  If I had any wit at all, I
would be at the end of it.

without more info the question is too broad; it really depends on the form of the original email data; if it's on an IMAP server, simply point Thunderbird at that account (you can have multiple email accounts in TBird), and possibly copy it to your Gmail account or a local folder; if it's stored in local email files, it will help to know what format (mbox, maildir, some corruption thereof, something else?); with a handle on that you should be able to google up some resources, but the answer may be here:

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail>