I couldn't say for sure if the M is sharper than the Takumar. The M does have the reputation of being sharper than the A 200mm f4.0.

I do have a copy of the M 200 and while I haven't done a lot of scientific testing, back when I first got my *ist-D, I did a little comparison shoot and didn't detect a noticeable difference in image quality between it and the Vivitar S1 70-210mm v2, and v3 lenses and the SMC Pentax F 70 210, (the first copy I had).

That's not necessarily a bad thing. All three of those Zooms are pretty damned sharp at 200mm. However the added convenience of a zoom and the much more convenient A setting on the v3 Vivitar and the F 70-210 pretty much finds the M 200 relegated to the shelf. In fact even though the F 70-210 seems to be a little heavier than the M 200mm at 70mm it's quite a bit more compact. Now that latter two zooms are Hors de Combat maybe the M 200 will get some well deserved exercise.