On 17/8/13, Daniel J. Matyola, discombobulated, unleashed:

>What do people use for traffic avoidance on the road?  Anyone have any
>recommendations, positive or negative?

I navigate with an iPhone 4s mounted in a powered cradle high up on the
dash, with Google Maps app displayed, 99% of the time in straightforward
North-is-up plan view. The traffic function is fairly reliable although
it does occasionally report a tailback where non exists! Updating is
frequent but laggy. That said, I know about 80% of the routes I'm taking
by heart (I do 30k miles a year in southern England) and only have it on
in case I need a shortcut around a local problem. I tried a Garmin type
device once - it showed a vehicle-orientated point of view and told me
to turn left and right etc - and that wa the last time I ever used it.

I have successfully used iPhones to navigate in France and the USA, and
wouldn't use anything else now.

HTH

--

Cheers,