the Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED is rated quite highly if you want to
buy new and should be in your budget - note the new WR version would
be more pricey than this.

The 50-200 is even cheaper but apparently optically not that great.

I haven't used either but I can second Darren's suggestion for an
F70-210 - very sharp and good contrast but is quite heavy for what it
is.  Mine suffered a fall and is now stiff to zoom but otherwise still
works well, but I suspect will not get a lot of use now that I have
the DA* 60-250

Alastair