The K3 looks like a good start.  Though given how long R&D takes it was
probably present but needed funding for a  good launch.
Now Pentax needs (as I see it)
#1 A pro support program
#2 Expand the lens lineup
#3 Fix the AF speed/accuracy issues
#4 A new an innovative product for the pro
        In the past I wondered about turning the sensor vertical, like the
Fuji GA/GS645.
#5 Take the 645 sensor and put it into a folder body like the GS645, or a
p&s body like the GA645.
        Make 40 mp quick and easy.
        It may be an older sensor by today's standards, but the format and
potential price point could be awesome.

Of course Ricoh/Pentax may never be "pro" with the small sensor.
Imnsho, any attempt to win second place will guarantee 3rd place at best.
Their sights are set too low.  If you're going to play with the big boys
you've got to play their game.