On 21/12/2013 11:19 AM, John wrote:

I've looked at a box set of Harry Potter books at Costco. I talked to
her dad (who is notoriously a NON-reader) & he says she's starting to
like books.

When she is starting to like books is the best time to get her a book. A hungry fish takes the bate more readily and all.

I'm hesitating because I'm not sure that's a gift that would delight
her, and not just a gift that delights me (... at 10 I'd just discovered
the joys of Heinlein's juveniles & Asimov's "Lucky Star" ...).

You might very well be giving her a gift that will last a lifetime if you get her to start reading books. Get her a couple of the Harry Potter books. The full set might be a bit daunting if she is not a reader yet.

bill