Almost certainly of military origin in Canada. Introduction of the puck must have been the defining moment. A fast & furious sport today. However, Ladies (Field) Hockey is much more pleasing to the eye. I'm sure Larry would agree!

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: knarf
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:31 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT - Olympic Hockey

Many cities and towns lay claim to holding the first hockey game. Halifax thinks they had it. Montreal does, too. A very plausible theory has the first game in Kingston, Ontario between Montreal's McGill University (an alma mater of mine, which is why it's likely true) and Royal Military College.

Truth is it evolved from earlier forms of shinny or grass hockey so it's a matter of conjecture as to when it crystalized into ice hockey.

Whatever, we've been playing it for a long time and the game almost certainly began somewhere here (although some New England town claims it, too!). I think it's great that it's become so internationally loved.

Favourite hockey joke, care of Rodney Dangerfield: "I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out."

Cheers,
frank