On Mar 20, 2014, at 6:03 pm, Alan C <c...@lantic.net> wrote:

> Does it really make sense to sell? Many old toppies here thought of
> downsizing but found the smaller houses cost nearly as much as their larger
> ones. Unless they want to up-size or re-locate?

As it happens I had a chat to the painter who worked on our house today as he
had some touchups to do.  He's close to retirement and after 3 years of being
screwed around by his insurance company he's getting out.

He said the payout he's getting (which the insurance company are trying to
change again after signing off) is not enough to cover anywhere good in the
South Island so he's moving up towards the Hawke's Bay region.  He said that
he's not willing to get a mortgage at his age.

Just one story but I feel there are many similar ones.

Cheers,
Dave