On 4/5/2014 19:16, steve harley wrote:
on 2014-04-05 15:09 Ann Sanfedele wrote
steve - is castilleja the same as Indian Paintbrush? That's what
Ken's flowers looked like to me...

yes, i hesitate to use the common name because i'm not sure whether
applies to the whole genus, and i grew up using it for a completely
different plant when growing up in Maine

ah-yeah :-) heyDid we have a discussion about Maine before? I lived in
Orono from 1960 to 1963 - husband going to the U, me, working there.
Then back with subsequent husband a few times climbing Mt Katahdin,
camping, etc.. or back to visit Maine friends.

Thanks for that nice info on paintbrush... sure looks like Ken's is
the variety you mentioned, and quite sure my stuff from the 80's is
as well.. photo'ed in the capitol reef and canyonlands... they are so lovely.

ann

Brian - i think it might be Castilleja chromosa; i have seen these
several times, but i don't know if there are others that look quite
similar - maybe Ken knows

<http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Pink%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/castilleja%20chromosa.htm>