Quoting Henk Terhell <hterh...@chello.nl>:

Agree Linux Ubuntu is the way to to go to wipe off XP on your old PC and feel comfortable about these XP hazards. However I soon got tired of the interface of Ubuntu and switched now to the light-weight Ubuntu version Lubuntu on both an old desktop and a laptop. LibreOffice and all of the Ubuntu software you need can be downloaded seperately in Lubuntu after installation. Lubuntu looks more like XP and is very fast. Both Ubuntu and Lubuntu will get a new version on April 17 with 5-year support. All at no cost. There is no Photoshop/Lightroom for Linux (only GIMP) but I use a Win8 desktop for that.

And that, I think, is the main problem. There really isn't a Photoshop alternative on Linux. GIMP threatens to get there but it's a long time coming.

I used Ubuntu for a year or two but eventually got sick of having to boot into XP to run Photoshop (I could never get it to run successfully under Wine on Linux).

These days I use Win 7 on my desktop and Vista on the laptop (despite it's bad reputation, I've found Vista quite OK).

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia