This machine is on at least it's 3rd motherboard. I think the latest
mother board is from 2007.

I'm not sure how old it actually is, but at least some of the parts date
back into the 20th century. It's still got the certificate of
authenticity sticker for a Windoze98 Second Edition Upgrade on the shell.

Looks like my options are as follows:
1. Low cost pre-assembled system with Win7.
2. Barebones system & move my hard-drives then install Win7.
3. New motherboard, CPU & enough memory to run Win7.

Don't know which way I'm going to go right now.

Numbers 1 & 2 are going to cost more than I want to spend; numbers 2 & 3
are going to take more time away from other things than I want to devote.

Or option 4 - which I'm following right now - do nothing & trust (hope?)
that my firewall, my anti-virus program and my hosts file will manage to
keep the bad guys at bay for a while longer.