I think some people do buy Ferraris and Leicas for the cool and prestige value,
but most of the Ferrari and Leica owners I know aren't those people. They're
people who simply endure paying the price premium because they feel the product
is worth the money. Despite Tim Bray's shock and horror that people might pay
more for less, as if that was something new, different people have different
metrics of what "more" and "less" amount to.

As I said to another friend once, who was shocked that my M9 has no auto-focus,
no program mode, no scene modes, no movie recording, only 2 fps continuous
capture, and cost six times what his camera cost WITHOUT a lens, "Sometimes it
costs a lot of money to get only what you really want." The lack of these
things is a plus to me, which raises the value of the camera enormously. My
Sony A7 cost 22% of what the M9 cost me, and for that break in price I have to
work around the several dozen features it has that I have no use or interest
in, deal with what I consider rather twisty ergonomics, which I consider a
serious minus. But it has a high positive value for me because it has the right
sensor, the right format, and a good viewfinder to use my prized Leica R lenses
with. I'll endure the rest of the dross to use my lenses, which overcome all
the negatives.

A Nissan 300Z has a six cylinder engine and 280 hp. My Mercedes SLK has a four
cylinder, 195 hp engine. They are about the same size, weigh about the same,
and carry the same load of passengers and luggage. I'll take the Merc any day
over the Z, despite that it costs twice as much. It works better for me, I like
it more.

Just for the record, I think the T is a very interesting camera in many ways. I
like the design. I withhold judgment on the touchscreen/minimal buttons control
design until I try one (it's intriguing, might be hopeless but might also be
excellent; note that it's very much like the minimal control design on my
Polaroid SX-70 which for all that it lacks seems to work just fine...). I'm
sure its performance with M-mount and R-mount lenses is excellent. I'm less a
fan of the detachable EVF than I once was but I could work with that. But it's
not for me because of the sensor format at this point: the Olympus E-M1 does
everything I want in a smaller-than-35mm format better than anything else I've
tried, so I want a body that provides a FF sensor format for my lenses that
were designed for FF format. However, the lens mount on the T seems to be an
enormous thing designed for a FF format sensor somewhere down the road. I'll
keep my eyes on the T series to see when the Tff model arrives…

Maybe it will be my Leica CL digital at some point, just as the Sony A7 is now.
I'm patient, the lenses aren't going anywhere... :-)