Good looking set of tools, Cotty. I probably would have been successful doing
the swap myself if I had decent tools. I used the ones that came with the
two-drive adaptation kit, and that just didn't work. I've already sent it back
for a refund.

On Jun 16, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Charles Robinson <charl...@visi.com> wrote:

> As for drive installation in a Mini - I just swapped a 1TB drive into my
> mid-2011 Mini (replacing the original 500GB) and I didn't have to move the
> logic board at all.  The instructions SAY you should use the logic-board
> removal tool to shift it out of the way a bit, but my experience was that
> that particular step of the process wasn't necessary at all - the drive slid
> into place just fine with the logic board fully installed.
>
> However, if I ever want to stack up a second drive in the mini, then the
> board would have to move.   That will be a while yet.

I'm glad you got it done without issue. For me, I didn't get past step three.
Removing the fan connector … gently as I could imagine … ripped the connector
socket block right off the motherboard. From how the folks at the store
reacted, I think this is not uncommon. It's a very delicate little component.

Originally I was going to do the two drive setup and configure the SSD for boot
and the second drive for Time Machine. But after the damage to the board, I
thought to myself, "Well, that's actually dumb, because if the TM backup is
external, I can boot up another machine and recreate my entire system without
having to dig out the drive if the mini craps out." I don't need more than the
960G single in the mini since my data is all external and my whole system (OS,
apps, three accounts, and all their data) leaves almost 500G free space on the
boot drive, another reason why the speed up is so extreme. Nothing makes OS X
happier than having LOTS of free space on the boot drive to manage temps,
auto-file-system defragmentation, its built-in optimization routines, etc.

I chose a little LaCie 1T ruggedized drive for the backup volume with
Thunderbolt and USB3 interfaces. It rips and operates absolutely silently.
  ;-)